Monday, May 19, 2008

Jefferson Goes Camping


What Mom? I don't have anything in my hand












Eating dinner camping style


It's MORNING! And I'm HAPPY! Camping is AWESOME!











Hi all, we are enjoying some actual spring (almost like summer) weather here in Oregon. This winter was a long and dark one, so I think everyone around here is probably in a better mood with this weather. We probably have deficiencies due to lack of sun. Anyway, it was downright hot the last few days, but we're not complaining. It feels great. We went camping over the weekend to Detroit Lake with the Hummels and Massey, with a brief visit from the Cordell family. It was Jeff's first camping experience, and I was thinking back to the last time we went camping last summer at Lost Lake, when I was in my ninth month of pregnancy, and how huge I was. It was crazy on this trip to be doing the stuff we usually do when camping like hiking, cooking, eating, sitting by the fire, playing cards, playing music, being lazy, getting dirty, etc. all with having Jeff there, his cute little self getting filthy and just being a part of the action. He likes to try and eat dirt, rocks, pine cones, sticks, bugs, pretty much anything in nature. He is really getting the hang of understanding, "NO" so we were able to use that on many occasions over the weekend. I felt like a terrible mother the first evening when it went from about 95 degrees in the day to about 35 degrees at night (duh, you think with as much camping as we have done that I would remember this happens pretty much all the time, especially in the mountains) and I didn't feel like Jeff was going to be warm enough because I didn't put as many layers on as I should have that evening, but I kept getting up and checking on him, and he seemed to be just a little hot potato and he slept well. I felt bad over on my air mattress in a zero degree bag next to a nice big heater (kirby) :) and there's my little son, over in his pack 'n' play with a few blankets and a little hat on his head. I was torn, because I couldn't put him in his own sleeping bag or a bunch of heavy blankets because that's a big no-no for little ones that age, and I could have brought him over with me in my sleeping bag, but he was sleeping peacefully and I didn't want to disturb him and he seemed warm enough. Anyway, he slept well and was just fine and that's all that matters I guess. We had a fun time all in all, the days were hot, the nights were cool and perfect for sitting around the fire. When we go car camping, we don't mess around. I don't know if I inherited it from my dad, but when we are car camping, we aren't exactly roughing it. We bring the best food and A LOT of it in our huge cooler, lots of warm stuff and padding for sleeping, we now have a huge tent so we can have Jeff's Pack 'n' Play in it with us along with our big air mattress, nice camp chairs, lanterns, cards, towels, tp, etc. When we back pack, we are almost opposite, and we don't take much at all. I guess that's how it should be. It's just funny that we have our Acura MDX and it has a lot of room but we were just about packed to the gills on this little weekend trip. :) Oh well. I remember thinking when we would go camping when I was growing up that we could probably survive for about a month with just the stuff we had in the bed of my dad's truck, not to mention the stuff in the boat and the stuff in the cab on which we would put our feet because there was no more room. I guess the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree. The only difference is that my dad just about always has that amount of stuff with him, and, at least so far, I actually don't just have all that stuff in the car all the time. It's completely empty right now. :)


Enjoy the pictures!
Chilly morning breakfast
Mommy and Baby
The Sandcastle of the woods
Deal me in, Daddy!
Daddy and Baby

Tough Guy (?)

Hiking in the heat

Staredown

Hi Noah!

Chillin' (literally) with Daddy

There were a bunch of butterflies and this cute purple one

decided to hang out on my not-as-cute foot for a while.

2 comments:

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

We love to take the kids camping, too. The only problem is...it doesn't get dark in the summer...and in a tent, it's impossible to get it dark enough for the boys to think "hey, it's bedtime". So, we're going to have to rig up some type of "tent darkening" system this year.

It looks like you guys had a great time! I got weather reports from my family that it was VERY warm in OR!

Austin and Janelle said...

I miss camping already, especially since you guys are all going and we're not there! Looks like you had a great time!